What PR Peeps Love to Find on Your Blog

MESSAGE FROM CAMP FEARLESS LEADER, PATTI:   Fellow food bloggers, my longtime PR career puts me in the unique position of having one foot on the corporate/agency side, the other in the blogging world (I publish Worth The Whisk). Recently over lunch, I queried some PR Peeps about their web surfing efforts. What are they digging for on your blog? It’s not recipes. Here’s a roundup of their comments…

• I want to find your email address. If you have a form, I won’t use it.  I am constantly building my contact lists. Without your email address, you’re not on my list.  Yes, you can de-spam it with spaces.
  • I want to know where you live. Not your address, but an Idaho destination helps me see you’re not able to jump on the subway to my event in Manhattan. Canadians, the bad news is, many U.S. companies weed you out.  Don’t hide that fact from us, we will learn eventually.
  • If you want to be considered for visible gigs like spokesperson work, I want to see a real photo of you.  My job is to I match my clients’ products to the right kind of blogger.  A picture is worth 1,000 words.
  • I want to know if you have kids. Mommy and daddy bloggers are an enticing target in the food world, and if you are a parent, it helps me to know.  I understand security.  Little hands, teenaged feet in photos, that’s still helpful.
  • I want to know if you’ve earned accolades. Not those friendly badges from other bloggers.  I’d like to see earned honors for your work. From Saveur Best of the Web designations to blue ribbons from the county fair.
  • I want to know your credentials. I keep different lists.  If you are a dietitian, you go on my general list AND my nutrition list.  Published book author, chef, home economist, doctor, nurse – there’s a list for you!  Your blogging demonstrates skills – writing, recipe development, photography – but the more depth of credentials you present, the better.
  • I want MORE. Are you a runner?  A diabetic?  Vegan?  Gluten-free?  Love bacon?  Wine enthusiast? Traveler?  All helpful info!

–> UPDATE — what do TELEVISION PRODUCERS and BOOK PUBLISHERS really want to find on your blog?  Your phone number.  That’s right. There’s nothing like being able to actually leave a message in your own words, such as… “Hello, this is Homer Smith, I’m a producer of the Oprah show and want to talk about possibly being on an upcoming episode here in Chicago entitled, My Blog Totally Rocks. Here is my number, call me back pronto…”  It happens, people.  And if the fear of tons of people calling is stopping you – every legitimate business has a telephone.  Yours won’t ring off the hook, I guarantee that.

So, dear bloggers, if you want to generate more contact from people who make business decisions, help them help you.  Your ABOUT page is a great place for all of this. Yes, this encourages press releases. Just hit “delete” – a gem will make its way to you if you help the PR Peeps along.  ###

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks December 18, 2010 at 9:17 am

Great post Patti. There’s a couple of them I need to add.

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate December 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Fabulous post with great insight. As the former online editor for Saveur.com who’s responsibility was to find those blogs and recipes to feature in the daily fare, I can tell you that when I wasn’t able to find an e-mail address for a blog I moved on to someone else.

Patti Londre December 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Lael, thank you for the validation.

Erika Kerekes December 20, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Very helpful advice. I know all of those things are on my blog somewhere, but are they front-and-center enough that a PR person taking a cursory look will find them? I’m going to check right now. THANK YOU!

Wendy Perry December 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Thanks for the advice…. great info and reminders as I’m creating my brand new blog! :)

Brona Cosgrave December 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm

All good advice! As I recently posted on The Buzz Bin http://www.livingstonbuzz.com/2010/11/19/pr-101-for-bloggers/
peeps and tweeps need to learn how to work with PR pros! Thanks for helping the cause as we all figure this out together!

Amy Levy December 21, 2010 at 12:54 am

Very good list Patti. You are extremely thorough as always.

I agree with the importance of bloggers providing an email address, location and if they have kids.

For our clients that are local restaurants in Los Angeles, the information we have about a tasting event is only relevant to LA bloggers. Even the best food blogger out there will not be interested if they live in Miami. They may then accidentally label my future emails as spam even though the following week I might have something that is national in scope and perfect for them!

If we have an expert who has parenting advice, like fitness tips for new moms and dads or a new product that will make their lives easier, then knowing they are parents will help.

We love bloggers and recognize that they are the key to the future. Because they do not answer to bureaucratic magazine publishers, their blogs are of a more personal scope. As such, we PR people like to most effectively and efficiently personalize our outreach to them.

Patti Londre December 21, 2010 at 1:10 am

Amy – THANK YOU for all the additional insights. Bloggers, read up!

Susan Tellem December 21, 2010 at 3:57 am

Great list – I totally agree with the forms on a website – I immediately leave the site if I have to fill in a form with one exception…if I want something free. But keep in mind some peeps are very private and they haven’t been able to get over that even with the web.

Kris December 21, 2010 at 5:18 am

This is awesome. Thanks for all the tips/reminders. KISS is still a good rule to follow (keep it simple stupid.)

Celeste Gonzalez December 29, 2010 at 6:24 am

Great post Patti. There’s a couple of them I need to add.

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations January 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

These are excellent tips. Some, I’ve implemented. Others, I should work on soon.

Thank you!

Rebecka Evans January 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Pattie, your professional experience and tips come at a very good time for my food blog. At Home with Rebecka is almost a year old and I’ve hit a plateau generating new readers. I have a very loyal following but need to take it up a notch to get to the next level.

I would really enjoy visiting with you and the other speakers at Camp Bloggaway in May, however, I’ll be in Florida watching my son graduate from college.
Please let me know if you have a calendar of appearances so I can possibly make another camp.
Best Regards, Rebecka

E January 20, 2011 at 2:55 am

thanks for sharing the goods.

geraldine December 8, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hi Patti,
I like this post because it prompted me to update my about page and contact me page! I put a picture of mine on my blog. Because I want visitors to know that my blog, though not updated regularly :(, is managed by a real person and not an automated blog for seo purposes. Yeah those are simple items on my blog that I ignore. Thanks for this list. I’m not a food writer. But I believe that those list helps whether you are a food blogger or not.
Regards,
Geraldine

Aimee @ ShugarySweets February 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Great information. Most of which I follow except the phone number! Not sure I’m ready to take that plunge :) Thanks for sharing though, going back to my About Me page now to check it out from a new perspective!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Hello! I linked to your post from Healthylivingblogs.com. As a new blogger, I found this information very helpful. I think I do have most of these credentials already on my blog, but could definitely perfect them. Thank you!

Lisa February 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

This is a great list, thank you! It made me realize I was committing the #1 sin I hate in other blogs–not including where I live. When I stumble onto blogs, I want to see a photo of the author, I want to know where they are from and their email address should be easy to find. A lot of blogs fail to do this.

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen March 29, 2012 at 1:39 am

Hi Patti! Thanks for all these helpful advice! It’s so helpful. And so far, I’ve managed to do everything except for providing the phone number. With the amount of spam & hackers, not to mention tele-marketers, I hesitate to put a phone number. I only give it out to people I meet in conferences. Does this suffice for now? Thanks again for the wise suggestions!

admin March 29, 2012 at 3:38 am

Elizabeth, you can do whatever you desire, it’s your “business of you.” My phone number has been out there for so many decades, I always want it to be very easy for people to contact me. My amount of bad calls is quite low.